Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let them eat cake!

We celebrated Michael's birthday party last night at good ol' Chuck-E-Cheese. This year I had the pleasure of making his birthday cake as I have done in years past. I have made all his cakes except the one for his 2nd birthday. I was too busy gestating to be bothered, but Wal-mart did and excellent job in my place. I have made a train cake for his 1st birthday, and a Wow Wow Wubbzy cake for his 3rd. This years party theme was Wall-e, Michael's favorite movie. Wilton makes a Wall-e cake pan but I decided that I really didn't want to add to the collection of cake pans I already have. Not to mention the time it takes to pipe all the icing stars on the cake. So I went searching for another option. I found on the internet a Wall-e edible icing cake topper, inexpensive with the option to personalize it. So I decided to give it a try.

I ordered the cake topper in a 1/2 sheet cake size. I figured that we certainly did not need a full sheet cake and 1/2 would be plenty big. Lesson learned! You only need a 1/4 sheet cake unless your feeding an army. That small glitch aside, this was the easiest cake I've made yet. I certainly think the Wilton specialty cake pans are far prettier to look at but this cake served our purposes fine. It's just going to get demolished anyway. I was able to get the cake made and decorated while the kids played at my feet. In years past the other cakes took much more effort and I would have to send the kids somewhere else so that I could finish decorating.
Before and after


























I will leave you with pictures of the cakes I've done in the past for his birthday.



























No comments:

Post a Comment